Gone are the days where I can use my mane as a sweater...
and most exciting...
Gone are the days of going through bottles of shampoo like they're chicken nuggets.
I ACTUALLY DID IT. I got 12 inches of my luscious locks cut off today. The actual haircut wasn't that bad but everything leading up to it was pure torture. Last night at dinner my hair was the topic of conversation. I kept making ponytails and asking my mom whether she thought it was 10 inches or not (she has no concept of length measurement so it wasn't very helpful). I thought I better get the most out of my last hours with my hair. This involved me slapping my poor dad in the face with it on a regular basis and telling stories that required dramatic hair flips. I also may or may not have done some Glee style hair-ography. But alas it was time for me to go to sleep (and by sleep I mean toss and turn). You know how you hear about when amputees dream they still have their limb? Well I kept waking up after a crazy dream and wonder if after I got my haircut would I still dream with long hair. Dramatic I know. But anywhoo somehow I made it to the morning. I go to make some oatmeal and low and behold my mom found a picture in the paper of a little girl who donated her hair and put it right by my bowl. Talk about timing state newspaper!!! If this little girl could do it then surely I could too. So I took the longest shower of my life (which is obscenely long...I do love a hot shower) and dried my hair for the last time. I beebopped on down to the salon and met my friend Erin who looked like she might pass out any second. The time had come, I was actually going to chop a foot of my hair off. I hopped in the chair and Erin took some "before" pics (they're at the end of this post) and golly was my hair long. Anywhoo Allison (the lovely hairdresser) put my hair into a ponytail that I would then mail in to Locks of Love. All of the sudden I hear her make the first cut and lemme tell you, I've never heard such dramatic scissors in my life. Each snip was SOOO loud and it all happened in the slowest of slow motion. After the last agonizing snip was made, short hair sprung out at my shoulders and she handed me my longgggggg ponytail. I couldn't believe it was over. I guess had been expecting a choir of angels to start singing or at least some confetti to fall. Once I got over the anticlimactic grand finale, I was happy to just sit and have her shape up my new do. I figured I might as well go balls to the wall so I said "sure, why not?" to everything she suggested. It turned out fab. I got to relax as my bff Erin got her's done. I'm really proud of her for actually going through with it. She's had the same long hair basically our entire 12 year friendship. I was probably more worried about her than I was about my own hair. And ya know what? She loves her new hair! There was no shortage of warm fuzzies in Salon on Main today and it was delicious. I'm so so so so so happy that I can give my hair to a precious little child who needs it. Little do they know it but whoever get's my hair is going to have some pretty amazing memories that I've had with that hair on my head, on their head. And now that I think about it....my hair is going to be with that child as they make all sorts of great new memories of their own. So I guess my hair gets to live the life twice. Pretty neat.
before....extreme anxiety
told you it was obnoxiously long
pre- excruciating snip
chomp
short n' sassy
love.
No comments:
Post a Comment